September 5, 2011 • Article by Dan Fallon
According to Google 2011 is the year of mobile. Google recently invited us to ThinkMobile featuring Mary Meeker of the investment bank Kleiner Perkins (@KPCB). Mary is a clever lady who invested early in Google & rarely gets it wrong…if she says SoLoMo then so do we!
At the event she gave a few factoids on why marketers need to reshape their strategies to reach the always-connected, “mobilized” consumer:
- Google forecasts that in 2011 16% of searches will be mobile
- Shipments of smartphones & tablets will exceed desktops/laptops in 2011
- UK mobile searches grew 4X last year
- Google says 1 in 3 mobile searches are local
- After searching for a local business, 61% of users called and 59% visited
- Over 200 million people access Facebook from their mobile phone, as well as over 50% of Twitter users
- 74% of consumers have purchased as result of using smartphone while shopping
- Mobile users engage and convert at higher rates than web users
- 79% of advertisers do not have a mobile optimized site
The bottom line is that you need to think Social-Local-Mobile (SoLoMo) marketing or you will miss the boat. Some of our clients such as Blottr are core SoLoMo “plays” who will thrive. For others such as ecommerce firm DF Sales Ltd selling lawn mowers & ladders SoLoMo will take a little more thought but that thought will pay dividends.