The sheer number of ad sizes and types presents a big challenge for display advertisers. Updating messaging and imagery across them all can be extremely timely and expensive. Responsive ads solve this problem. With responsive ads, you can create one dynamically changing ad that will automatically adjust its size and format to fit just about any available ad space across the Google Display Network.
They are also really simple to set up. By entering three assets and some text, a variety of ads are automatically generated.
A responsive ad might show as a native ad on one site and a text ad on another - making them a great addition to a remarketing campaign. Responsive ads can expand the reach of your campaigns by appearing in more spaces than standard remarketing banners. As a result, responsive ads can deliver a significant uplift in results while also saving time and money.
Pro’s and Con’s to Responsive Ads for Remarketing
Quicker to create than traditional banner ads
Not as ‘on brand’ as traditional remarketing banners
More cost effective
Ads can look a bit simple/basic
Messaging & imagery can be trialled/updated more easily
Increase campaigns reach
The following are requirements for getting started with responsive ads:
- Company Logo - your logo should be square (1:1) and should be 128 x 128 or greater. The recommended size for the square logo is 1200 x 1200. The file size limit is 1 MB.
- Landscape Image - your landscape image should have a ratio of 1.91:1 and be greater than 600 x 314. The recommended size is 1200 x 628. The file size limit is 1 MB.
- Square Image - your square (1:1) image should be greater than 300 x 300. The recommended size is 1200 x 1200. The file size limit is 1 MB.
Setting Up Responsive Ads
1. Click + Ad
2. Select Responsive ad
3. Select an ad group.
4. Add and save your visuals. By entering your websites URL, there is an option to your website for images.
5. Complete your ad information (headlines and description etc.)
6. Preview a small fraction of your potential ads
7. Click Save.
8. Allow up to a week for your ads to be approved and the performance to be reviewed and optimised by Google.
Responsive ads are really quick and simple to set up. Introducing a responsive ad variation to your remarketing campaigns can expand the reach of your campaigns and deliver a significant uplift in results while also saving time and money.